Gentle readers, life here at the Grouchy house has been a wee bit - ah - unpredictable lately. Granted, a certain level of inconsistency is normal, but the last few weeks have been more like going from the merry-go-round to the worst rollercoaster in the park. On a full stomach. Yeah, that much fun.
For some time hubby has been looking for a different job. He's been pretty unhappy in his current position, but (as you all know) the economy hasn't been very job-hunt-friendly. Still, we figured if we just kept at it, sooner or later something would pop up. And sure enough, our efforts were rewarded. In fact, it was a little freaky - hubby had two offers that were really good, and a couple other places still knocking on the door. One of the offers was from his current company, but another division. The other was from a different company in a different industry. After a LOT of thought, prayer, and discussion, we decided to go with the offer from his present employer. There were a number of financial advantages for us in staying with the same company, and we felt they were significant enough that we couldn't pass them up. The decision was made and we started planning to move to Missouri.
Now, mind you, we were pretty confident that this was going to be a good thing. The company has disappointed us in the past (long story), but things were looking really good for this move. Until this past Tuesday morning, when they called my sweet husband and said "Um, yeah, that job offer? We're taking it back. " Yes, really. We were both just stunned. That is not kosher, you know? We'd declined the other offer just to stay with the company, and they pull THIS on us? We were expecting a kiss, and instead got a slap in the face. Actually, I wasn't just stunned, I was furious. So when hubby said "Should I call the other place and see if they'd still consider me?" I really didn't have to think twice before saying yes.
So he called, and his contact there agreed to do the rounds and see if everyone was still interested. By that evening we knew that there was a possibility, but that was all. To make the day better, our kids went out to the store and on the way home slid off the road into a snowbank - and then couldn't get through to us for help. A couple of the men from church wound up going and pulling them out (thanks again, Ben and Ted!). We all went to bed exhausted and overwhelmed.
Wednesday, though - Wednesday was good. By that evening Jon had an offer in hand that made us very happy. He sent his acceptance, they started the ball rolling, and just like that everything changed. We're still a little bewildered by the whole chain of events, but our feeling is that God knows waaaaaaay more than we do, and somehow this is all for the best. Jon is really excited about the job - it's going to be a much better fit for him. Plus, now we're moving to South Carolina, which is much warmer than Missouri! We have contacts in the area already, and it's much closer to Jon's parents and older brother, which will be wonderful. It's also just a few hours away from some of my relatives, so I'm looking forward to visiting them as well.
So, that's been the rollercoaster ride this last few weeks! I think we're past the worst of the crazy now, but I'm sure there will still be some ups and downs. And I am so looking forward to being warm.....